Today is the day (some) of us celebrate our past and present Presidents. Last year, on President’s Day, The Huffington Post wrote an article with at least one surprising fact about every one of our United States President’s to date. Here are some of the most surprising facts you can find on that list.
- George Washington’s teeth were not wooden.
- Andrew Jackson had a cursing parrot. Wow!
- William H. Harrison had a pet goat.
- James Buchanan is the only president who never got married. No way.
- Ulysses S. Grant got a $20 speeding ticket for “zooming” down the street too fast on a horse. YOU GO DUDE! (Not).
- William McKinley was the first president to use a telephone to campaign. Back in the super- duper EXTREMELY “olden days.”
- Herbert Hoover and his wife spoke Mandarin around The White House to prevent other people from knowing what they were talking about. What do you think they were hiding?
- And lastly, our current President, Barack Obama, likes his comic books. Mr. President, why do we have “Captain America?”
- Ronald Reagan used to do a stand- up comedy show in Las Vegas!
- President George W. Bush used to be a cheerleader!?
All of these facts seem useless, but what if you could turn them into fun indoor games for kids?
- 3×5 cards
- Pen or pencil
How- To Play
- Put each fact on its own 3×5 card.
- Sit in a circle and turn each card face down on the floor in the center (make sure you don’t know which card is where).
- Have the first person start by drawing a card and whispering the fact into the ear of the person to his or her right.
- Continue like this until everyone has hear the “secret fact.”
- Have the last person in the group say out loud what he heard from the last whisper.
A Game For Younger Kids!
For younger kids, help them pick one of these random, “useless” facts and her tell you a story as if she were that president. This is a great way to help your child develop their storytelling skills as well as her ability to relate to other people.
To read the rest of ” 44 Presidents, 44 Facts You Probably Didn’t Know” from the Huffington Post click here.